11.23.2011

Kooking with Kristin: Twice Baked Potatoes!

My husband and I love to cook and eat yummy foods, so we always love sharing Thanksgiving with family and the great times with yummy foods!!  I always look forward to my mom's homemade stuffing-yum.  Cooking (and eating) is something that my husband and I both share a passion for and really enjoy.  I thought it would be fun to share new recipes or ideas with my blog peeps from time to time. 

Dean and I love to cook for each other or most often we cook as a team or are taking turns.  That being said,  my husband and I definitely have different styles of cooking...I tend to use what ingredients we already have, using the crockpot, electric skillet or stove and whip up new meals with whatever ingredients we have.  Dean, my husband, on the other hand loves grilling, going to the store, being outside (even when it is freezing outside), smoking meats with wood chips, etc.  My family always jokes that we eat so well and thinks we are crazy when we eat steak for dinner on weeknights-hee hee.  If I ever wonder why I can't loose any weight, this is why!!  We don't usually follow recipes, so sometimes it may just be inspiration! (but I will include a recipe when we use them!)  We make a great team and some yummy meals with our unique styles combined.

I am starting a 'Kooking with Kristin' segment of my blog with the Thanksgiving Blog!  This installment of 'Kooking with Kristin' I am making yummy 'Twice Baked Potatoes.' It was one of the items I was in charge of and specially requested to make to bring to my family's Thanksgiving.  I like this recipe, because it has a few more of the "fixins" than you really need!  But all the more yummy.  How can you go wrong with potatoes, bacon, cheese, sour cream and sauteed onions??!?!?
Twice Baked Potatoes
Yield: 8 Servings  (But I usually have done double recipe for 16 halves, because if you are going to make, why not make plenty to share!)
4 Large Baking Potatoes
1 pound sliced bacon, diced
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion   (here, I just used all yellow onion, because we already had)  
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion  
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup diced american cheese    (here again, I just used cheddar cheese, because we already had it)    
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 
4 green onions, finely sliced

  • Bake potatoes at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until fork tender.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Remove to paper towels.  Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.  In the drippings, saute the onions until tender;  Set aside. 
  • When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut in half lengthwise.  Scoop out pulp, leaving an 1/8 inch shell.  In a mixing bowl, beat the pulp, sour cream and milk until creamy.  Stir in sauteed onions, American cheese and 1 cup of bacon.  Spoon into potato shells and place onto a baking sheet.  (I stopped here today on Wednesday, covered them with foil and put into the refrigerator-so I could finish cooking them tomorrow on Thanksgiving day.  I did have to make one or two for Dean and I for dinner tonight though!!  Hee hee).  
  • Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, green onions and remaining bacon.  Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.  
Dean and I just had to make sure they tasted OK for tomorrow, so we did the quality control on the potatoes for dinner tonight!  They were delicious.  :)

    Always a crowd-pleasing dish.  Yum, Yum!!  XXOO, Kristin

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Please leave your comments