1.12.2012

Kooking with Kristin: Meatloaf Patties!


I remember being intimidated by cooking at first, because I didn't know how to cook.  But not all meals have to be tough to prepare to be yummy!  I am not an expert, but I think everyone can learn to cook.  There are still lots of things that I haven't made, but I think you just start learning one new thing here and there and still making those things you like and perfect them!!  I also think you start to learn what you like and don't and can adjust recipes - if you don't like certain ingredients, don't use them!!  Or if you really like certain ingredients, maybe putting a little extra of that item in the mix!  For example, some people don't like onions or don't like pepper - or whatever those ingredients might be, so I would tell them not to put those in there!! 
Ok, so now onto the reason for this installment of the "Kooking with Kristin" blog post.  This week, I was going to go through the recipe for Meatloaf Patties.  I grew up on meatloaf patties, so this is one of my favorite recipes growing up that my mom used to make!!!  She was a working mom and even with all of our activities and everything she had going on, always made it a point for us to sit and eat our dinner around our kitchen table.  She was amazing and looking back, sometimes I don't know how she did it.  She is where I learned the meaning of hard work and is such a great example where I learned so much about what I want to be, what kindness and giving mean.  Dad would cook occasional too or would be in charge of adding the salt and pepper at the end, but growing up for the most part my mom would do the cooking.  Such great meals and memories were created as a family sitting around the dinner table!!  Love you, mom and dad, and thank you!!  XXOO.

Meatloaf Patties
(makes approx 6-8 patties;  I actually made 8 patties total this time because I had the sausage added.  4 for tonight and froze the other 4 to pull out at a later date, since was too much for Dean, Owen & I for one night.  Putting in the freezer for later, makes for easy dinner maybe in a week or two!!)
Ingredients:
  • (1) pound ground beef
  • (1/2) pound ground sausage (optional!! Sometimes I put in there if we have it, but my mom doesn't usually put in there and just as great without!!)
  • (1) large egg
  • (1/2) medium diced yellow onion
  • (2) pieces of bread (or buns-whatever you have) - rip or cut into dime size pieces
  • Season salt & pepper to taste
Preparation:

  • Preheat Stove to 350 Degrees.
  • Mix together ingredients in a large bowl.  (you can use a spoon or your hands for this step-just make sure hands are clean before and after this step!)
  • Add the salt and pepper
  • Spoon out and roll into a ball and flatten in your hands to form patties
  • Cook until your preferred done-ness.  I like well done, so typically cook for 30-45 minutes on 350 degrees.  We actually put them in the broiler for a few minutes when they were getting close to done.
Also - if you prefer a meat LOAF instead of patties:  Rather than the making patties step, put the mixed ingredients into a loaf pan.  I typically top the loaf with ketchup before baking and cook for about a hour - a little longer than the patties.  Yum, yum!!!  XXOO, Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments