5.22.2013

We Love You, Grandma!

As my family celebrates the life of my amazing grandma this week with her passing, I had to share what an amazing woman she has been for me and my family.  Grandma has had a wonderfully long life and full of so much joy surrounded by her six children, six grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren.  Esther is survived by her children: Kevin Webb, Sandy (Bill) Judkins, Donna (Jeff) Lee, Kelly (Beverly) Webb and Karla Webb; grandchildren: Kristin (Dean), Shannon, Loni (Todd), Gretchen (Nathan), Haley and Nathan; great-grandchildren: Ava, Luke, Owen, Kindra, Gracie and Dwight.  
I am grandma’s oldest granddaughter and I have so many wonderful memories of her and I know all of those around her did as well.  I remember when I was a little girl going to visit my grandparents and having such a blast.  I always got really excited when my parents told me we were going to visit them.  I always felt so surrounded by love there and always have fun.  Here are some of my favorite memories of my amazing grandma . . .   
  • Grandma definitely spoiled us with yummy treats.  Usually with delicious frozen treats . . . ice cream cones, my first banana split, Holy Cow frozen yogurt and when we got older our Dairy Queen Blizzards!
  • My sisters and me trying to “play” their grand piano
  • Reading their old Guinness Book of World Records
  • Macaroni Salad and Ice Cream Jell-o
  • The game and craft closet with checkers
  • Scrabble games galore
  • Animal crackers in the box
  • All the family reunions, weddings and family get-togethers!
  • Going down to the basement and seeing what treasures we could find!
  • Being chased around their house by my uncle and grandpa in funny wigs and getting piggyback rides
  • Dressing up with my mom and aunt’s old dresses and playing dress-up and wearing high heels.
  • Being fascinated by how she would calculate out all her math without a calculator
  • Living life and amazing us by riding a bicycle at our family reunion one year
  • My sisters and I would always try to catch her without her teeth and would try to get a glimpse of her without the dentures. 
  • Getting perms!! 
  • Looking through Grandma and Grandpa’s wedding album when Dean and I were getting married and looking for a picture to use on our photo board.  Grandma and Grandpa were so young, so in love and Grandma looked so beautiful without gray hair. :)
  • Cleaning and painting the rental house on their property
  • The sleepovers at her house usually ended up with my sisters and me giggling too much and eventually having her finally having to get upset for us to go to bed. 
  • Grandma uncontrollably giggling and not being able to hold it in as we visited an extremely nice restaurant in Washington, DC and them handing Grandma a “To-Go-Swan.”  Her laughter and trying to contain it, made us laugh even more. 
  • She gave us scavenger hunt
  • Her giving me her old cameras when I started my own photography business and now having them displayed in my office
  • Her sewing and making quilts and making us sleeping bags
  • Her having “Dress-Up-Days” with us
  • Her love of playing cards and having pinochel playing card parties for her friends
  • We have so many memories of her with trips to Chicago, the IN Dunes and the beach in Michigan and her love of the Beach
  • Getting a “Granddaughter” ornament every year at Christmas and getting to see all the ornaments over the years when we decorate our tree.

My grandma loved to spend time with family and definitely made family a priority and kept all of us together.  My grandma cared deeply for her friends, family and everyone else she met.  Losing my grandmother has been sad for my family and me, but I know it was her time.  We will miss grandma and hearing her stories.  As I was explaining to Owen yesterday where were traveling this week, I found myself remembering all of these great times.  I explained to Owen that “G.G.” (Great Grandma) was old and sick and was now in Heaven with Riley (one of our dogs).  He pointed to the sky and understood that Grandma and Riley were now playing and taking care of one another.  Owen warmed my heart when he then looked at me and said, “Mommy, I wuv G.G.!!!”  Grandma was an amazing mom, friend, grandma and also great grandma!  When I have grandkids, hopefully someday, I hope to be just as amazing and such a wonderful person that she was to each of her grandkids.  We all have such special times and memories with our special moments with Grandma.  Her memory will continue to live on forever in all of our hearts.  Life is so precious and definitely a gift.  Thank you for spoiling us over the years.  We love you so much, Grandma!  
XXOO, Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments